Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Not a Goodreads fan, but I do enjoy a good Graphic Novel

As a somewhat long time member of Goodreads, I honestly have never used it for reader's services with customers. I find it takes too long when I could easily just use Novelist for the information I am needing. Its a fun thing to use to see what my friends are reading and to keep track of my own reading, but I fail to see it as a professional tool. I am also not comfortable logging into the social network while on an information desk terminal to try and find a recommendation. Not to mention, their algorithms are designed to make recommendations off what I've read, not off of what my customer has read. I am sure others find the listopia area of the site helpful and such, but to me, it doesn't stand up to what Novelist can provide, or just getting into the stacks and judging books by their covers and flaps.

I did leave Matt Keifer a suggestion  to his reading of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, "Matt, as a graphic novel based on superheoes and vigilante justice, you may enjoy Watchmen by Alan Moore. While it doesn't involve the traditional characters, it does analyze the archetypes of each type of superhero"


No comments:

Post a Comment